Saturday, February 23, 2008

ESCAPING REALITY

A couple of years ago, ."REALITY TELEVISION" hit the scene. WHAT'S UP WITH THAT? AND people bought into it!. What's up with that????
At the end of the day I turn on the TV to escape reality, not to enter into someone else’s!! I want sports, dramas, sitcoms, politics....You know.."FICTION"...Not REALITY!! I don't need to see some apparently "abnormals" sucking on scorpions or slugs, WHILE I'M EATING YET! I also don't need to see them sleeping in make-shift tents! If I wanted that I would've stayed in the Boy Scouts! They consider themselves fortunate if they catch a snake. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I see a snake......I'm outa there. Then not only do they cook it...they EAT IT! What's up with that! I know they say that snakes taste like chicken!.... NO.....CHICKEN TASTES LIKE CHICKEN! That's why they call it CHICKEN!!! SNAKE tastes like "SNAKE"...Do the math!
Just give me some good old fashioned fiction. Okay CSI, Bones, Crossing Jordan, cutting peoples heads open and playing with their brains, I can sorta tolerate that....cause it's not real..it's Fiction....(At least I hope it's fiction) Yuck! Those shows are a form of escapism. All the other shows: The Big Race, Big Brother, the so called "TALENT" shows, reality shows in general...JUST TOO MANY!! I do have to admit that AMERICAN IDOL gives a platform to some really talented people and produced Rueben and others, not to forget super stars Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood. That was a good thing, but I found the remarks and criticisms made by "Simon CRUEL" TO BE MEAN AND UNNECESSARY! These are things you say to people behind closed doors. Not for public embarrassment! Sadly, a lot of people were watching to see these performers fall on their faces, instead of how good they were. How sad.

The real casualties however are all of the talented performers, writers, directors, waiting in the wings to mount some new shows, but it's cheaper and I do mean cheaper to produce reality shows.
To me it's like a low budget cowboy movie, where you use real bullets and only have to pay the survivors! So what's the next move "SPIN-OFFS?" The Food Network's "COOKING CRICKETS WITH CARL!".....Or how about The Game channel's LET'S TAKE A CHANCE....Where members of the audience are forced to eat wild mushrooms without knowing if they're poisonous. The winners get to rummage through the losers pockets and keep what they find.....Then they spin the wheel to see who has to bury them in the parking lot! And the Discovery Channel showing several ways that you can make HAIR GEL out of WILD MOOSE slobber. As Rachael would say....."YUMM-O!"

No comments: